animals we have known and loved
Community Response

Our Vision
Upcoming Events

Factory Farming
Help Your Community
Contact Us
Join PAR


the tracks we leave behind .
 . .

Your Community needs you to help animals!

Here is how...


How Do You Address Human/Wildlife Conflicts?

People for Animal Rights is working hard to educate area communities about how to humanely resolve human/wildlife conflicts and co-exist with wildlife.

Removing the wildlife through relocation or killing never offers a long-term solution because other animals move in to fill the void, or reproductive rates increase, in response to the attractive food supply/habitat. So, the habitat must be modified or made less attractive. Depending on the animal involved, that means: use of fencing, vegetation, repellents, scare devices, harassment with dogs, removal of nests, etc.

To learn more about a long-term non-lethal approach so that you can help your community, check out the Humane Society of the United State's Wild Neighbor book or their website, -

Other helpful websites are: - Fund For Animals - Animal Protection Institute

For Geese issues, check out: - Coalition to Prevent the Destruction of Canada Geese - GeesePeace


How Do You Respond To Animal Neglect/Cruelty?

You can help stop animal neglect or cruelty in your neighborhood by taking the following steps:

If neglect is involved:

Use a neighborly approach - offer assistance (dog house) as a group of neighbors. If offer of assistance doesn't help, explain that conditions are unacceptable for your community and that if things are not changed you all will have to report violations to animal control. Be friendly, but firm.
Call animal control about any violation of ordinance (lack of proper water, food and shelter, etc.) They need the address and description of neglect. If there is evidence of food or water, even if you are the one feeding/watering, animal control cannot write up a citation on that. Follow up with animal control to see what they did. (NOTE: If there is no animal control, local law enforcement is charged with enforcing the State cruelty laws.)
If things are happening that animal control cannot see(like a dog being on a chain all day/night), witnesses should submit documentation in writing to animal control. Include dates/times of occurrences. Sign it. Keep a copy.
Call every day there is a violation.
If you don't believe animal control is being responsive, call your city councilperson for assistance.
If still not getting assistance, contact PAR for help. It would be helpful to receive a copy of documentation and who you have contacted (name/#).

If you witness abuse (animal being beaten,etc.):

Call animal control or police, immediately.
If they do not see the abuse, complete a statement of what you witnessed. Sign and date.
Follow up in about a week to get a copy of your statement. Check for accuracy. Ask when the information is being turned over to the Prosecutor.
If you believe the Prosecutor is not going after animal cruelty, contact PAR for further assistance. Sending us information of what has been done to date is very necessary.


How Can You Help Curb The Feral Cat Population In Your Community?

Do you have a number of feral (wild) cats in your neighborhood that keep on having kittens? If you would like to do the best thing to help curb the population and help the cat colony, use the trap (humane)/neuter/return approach advocated by Alley Cat Allies ( - This approach is effective at controlling the population of feral cats in a given area. It is important to be knowledgeable of local ordinances.

Home | Our Vision | Upcoming Events | Animal Issues | Factory Farming
Help Your Community | Articles | Links | Contact Us | Join PAR